Saskatchewan Home Based Educators is trying to make the process of filing paperwork easier for parents, so that they can get on with what really matters: nurturing and raising (i.e. educating) their children. If you find these resources helpful, please join with SHBE by purchasing a membership and “liking” us on Facebook.
Why do you want to do this? What is your measurement of success? How do your children learn best, and what is your style? What resources, activities, books, systems, and curriculum fit your why, what, and how? Don’t forget to register, but most of all: Enjoy your time together!
Education is a parental responsibility. The province has a compelling interest in the education of children. The school division assesses and confirms compliance with the regulations. To register a home-based education program, a parent must file paperwork with their school division.
Here are some resources to assist parents to file their paperwork, created by SHBE in consultation with Home School Legal Defense Canada (HSLDA):
- Guide to using SHBE templates
- Notice of intent (link to publications Saskatchewan)
- Written Education Plan Template (MS Word, Fillable PDF)
- Annual Progress Report Template (MS Word, Fillable PDF)
- Brochures: Is it Legal?, Getting Started, How to File
- Fact Sheet on Home Based Education in Saskatchewan
Prior to the most recent version of the Ministry of Education Home Based Education Policy Manual, there was a summary of the Supreme Court of Canada decision that laid the legal basis for home based education in Canada, authored by the Saskatchewan Provincial Government, included as Appendix F. Along with an archived copies of various documents of the Saskatchewan Provincial Government that are relevant to Home Based Education in Saskatchewan.
- Appendix F – Constitutional and Legal Context
- Saskatchewan Home-based Education: Policy and Procedures Manual 2016-17
- The Home-based Education Program Regulations, 2015
- The Education Act, 1995
- Goals of Education for Saskatchewan (1985) (Note: While a Home-Based Education Program must be “not inconsistent with the Goals of Education for Saskatchewan”, these goals are not the same as “Broad Annual Goals”.)
- Previous Policy Manuals: 2012, 2014
- Previous Regulations: 1995, 2012, 2013