Saskatchewan Home Based Educators (SHBE) is the official voice of home-based educators in Saskatchewan. We assist in creating a positive social network and a positive political environment for all those who choose home-based education. We also provide supportive, social and instructional resources for our members. Check our Memberships page for more details. You may also want to join our Facebook page.
What Does SHBE Do for Me?
The mandate of SHBE is to, “assist in creating a positive social network and a positive political environment for all those who choose home-based education in Saskatchewan. We also provide supportive, social and instructional resources for our members.”
More specifically, here are some of the things SHBE does for you:
- First and foremost, SHBE is your voice to government. The Ministry of Education has agreed to hear the voice of SHBE as the voice of homeschoolers in this province. The SHBE president meets with the Director of Home-Based Education at the Department of Education on an infrequent but regular basis, and with the Minister of Education less frequently. These meetings are our opportunities to take the concerns we hear from you to the people who are responsible for writing and implementing homeschooling regulations in our province.
- We are also often your voice to school division officials and staff. Every fall and every spring, and often times in between, board members receive phone calls asking questions and looking for guidance on dealing with school divisions who have misinterpreted the regulations or are overstepping their authority in some way. We are often able to help homeschooling parents navigate these challenges and every year we take issues to the Ministry of Education when they cannot be resolved locally.
- The SHBE board is responsible for building a convention committee which runs the provincial convention every year. The convention volunteers work to give homeschooling parents interesting and informative speakers and workshops on a variety of homeschooling topics and issues. They also organize a vendor hall with curriculum providers and other vendors of interest to homeschooling families. Volunteers at the convention organize and staff a used book sale as an additional service to homeschooling families.
- SHBE works to build homeschool leaders in our province by subsidizing board members and convention committee members who would like to attend the HSLDA National Leadership Conference every year. This conference allows us to meet homeschool leaders from across Canada and learn about homeschooling issues and organizations across the country and around the world.
- Finally, SHBE board members work to support homeschooling families by being involved with local support groups, by holding homeschool information nights every now and then, and by being accessible to answer your questions and concerns. The SHBE help desk receives questions and inquiries from homeschoolers, potential homeschoolers, and those interested in communicating with homeschoolers in Saskatchewan. We communicate with you through our newsletter, the Journal, our website and our Facebook page.
Thank you again for joining us!
Saskatchewan Home Based Educators, Inc is registered in Saskatchewan as Non-Profit Corporation since 1991.
- Deadline Approaching – SHBE Community Builder Grant
- Fall 2022 SHBE Journal
- Convention Logo Contest
- SHBE Community Builder Grant
- 2023 SHBE Convention – February 24, 25
- Conference Coupons
- Tentative Schedule – May 13 and 14
- Registration Information
- Key Note Speaker – Kerby Court
- Key Note Speaker – Jenn Dean
- What [re-]started the homeschool movement – interview with Dr. James Dobson and Dr. Raymond Moore
- Advanced Placement exams – shared experience
- Homeschooling high school – shared experience
- Visit 2021 Virtual CWSF STEM Expo / Expo STIM virtuelle ESPC 2021
- Soil Rocks Student Video Competition
- Soil Rocks Student Video Competition
Here’s a word from Saskatchewan Home Based Educators:
Prior to 1987 there was no Saskatchewan Home Based Educators.
There was no organization to stand for the rights of homeschool families in Saskatchewan.
There was no organization to turn to for information to know if we even had any rights.
There was no organization to host a provincial convention to inspire and encourage families to pursue their vision.
There was no organization to bring a sense of connection and unity to homeschool families across the province.
There was no organization to care for the cares of homeschool families in Saskatchewan.
Move the calendar ahead several decades and Saskatchewan Home Based Educators continues to serve the Homeschool community.
We do have an organization to stand for the rights of homeschool families in Saskatchewan.
We do have an organization to turn to for information to know those rights.
We do have an organization to host a provincial convention to inspire and encourage families to pursue their vision.
We do have an organization to bring a sense of connection and unity to homeschool families across the province.
We do have an organization to care for the cares of homeschool families in Saskatchewan.
SHBE is just as important now as it was decades ago.
The founders and visionaries didn’t see what they were doing as a sacrifice.
They saw what they were doing as, “We get to help homeschoolers in Saskatchewan!”
And they spent many many hours and gas money and phone money to fulfill their mandate to this cause.
Today, there are many many hours freely given to fulfill this same mandate.
It hasn’t changed. SHBE volunteers still, “Get to help homeschoolers in Saskatchewan!”
SHBE’s representation with government officials is strengthened with increasing numbers of membership.
SHBE’s budgeting income is based solely on membership fees.
If you appreciate the efforts of SHBE’s accomplishments in the past,
and if you expect SHBE’s accomplishments in the present,
and if you hope SHBE will be there for your children’s children
in strength and confidence,
one thing that we can all do,
is renew our membership.
The ground is level in the SHBE domain:
Every board member and every convention committee member pays the same membership fee as you.
One membership renewal won’t make a huge difference in determining our budgetary needs and opportunities; but together we can continue to be the organization that is known for standing for the things that are important to homeschool families in Saskatchewan.
Thank you! to all who have renewed their subscription!
(If you attended the SHBE convention, you’ve already renewed.)
To help SHBE continue to be an effective voice for homeschooling in Saskatchewan,
join us with us today!